11/18/2009 Freedom Watch 59 w/ Debra Medina, Butler Shaffer, David Buckner

Freedom Watch 59 is ready for viewing. Reminder, there will be no new Freedom Watch episodes until November 30th due to the Thanksgiving holiday/vacation.

Debra Medina

Butler Shaffer

David Buckner

1. Fox News Blues Said,

November 19, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

Freedom Watch is a wonderful show – but it is disingenuous to present it as a regular program. It is actually an intermittent series of presentations.

What other show takes off for a Thanksgiving vacation? If this were some unimportant, throw-away internet broadcast, it would be no big deal – but this program is a critical source of truthful information, especially during this dark period of rampant deceit. Freedom Watch producers: Have someone else fill in for the Judge, (and whoever else is taking off) for goodness (and our Country's) sake!

2. lberns Said,

November 19, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

I sure wish the Judge asked her about the failed War on Drugs.

3. Bob Robertson Said,

November 19, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

As soon as she said “make up the shortfall” I knew I’d never vote for her (not that I’m in Texas anyway).

Sure, getting rid of property taxes is a good thing. But just like the pundants were pelting Ron Paul with “but what are you going to replace it with?”, so few people seem to get that cutting government is the entire point.

“Make up the shortfall” by cutting spending so that there is no shortfall.

Maybe RP is right that the cuts in spending must come first, so that there is no “shortfall” to frighten the foolish.

4. Texan Said,

November 19, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

Glad to see Ms. Medina running against the joker that is Perry.

But – I have to question Medina on her desire to remove the property tax. So, she wants to replace it with with an increased sales tax (which is already at 8.25%). According to her website, the sales tax would need to be 14.5%. Now, that's just crazy talk.

As a Texan and a land / home owner, I don't really see the issue here. In my view, the property tax is basically just a consumption tax. If you don't want to pay as much tax, purchase a smaller house. (The agricultural exemptions are pretty easy to get if you are a farmer / rancher, so not a big issue there…)

what she should be talking about is 1) reduce spending, and 2) reduce the tax load.

Oh well, she is still a better option than Perry and Hutchison.

5. Buck Said,

November 20, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

Texan, sounds like you are including state and local tax. Where is that 14.5% coming from?

First time I heard Debra speak on property tax she mentioned broadening the tax base. Her figures indicated the STATE tax rate would actually be lowered. That is what most politicians do, keep the rate low but broaden the base.

Medina had mentioned a one time state sales tax on the sale of real estate. Yes that broadens the base. At the same time you pay a one time tax. We are not going to eliminate taxes and I don't like the idea of broadening the base. In the case of property taxes I like the idea of a one time sales tax on the purchase. If this completely rids me of further obligation in the form of tax on my real estate then I for one will rest easier as I grow older knowing what I have acquired and paid for through my own efforts cannot be taken from me because I might face uncertain economic difficulties and be unable to pay a tax on real estate that is otherwise free and clear of all debt.

I may end up a pauper but perhaps the elimination of property taxes as we know them will help assure I am able to live the remainder of my life in a home that again I acquired by my own efforts and worked to pay for during the healthiest part of my life in order to rid it of all financial obligations other than those out of my control , a detriment to freedom IMO, property taxes.

The Texas state sales and use tax rate is 6.25%, but local taxing jurisdictions (cities, counties, special purpose districts, and transit authorities) may also impose sales and use tax up to 2% for a total maximum combined rate of 8.25%. Medina's proposal would lower the STATE portion to below 6% as I understood the first time I heard her speak.

6. If You Live In The Great State Of Texas « Fascist Soup Said,

November 24, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

[...] Debra Medina on Freedom Watch. [...]

7. Scott Said,

November 28, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

Texan, property tax is NOT a consumption tax. A consumption tax is a one time tax on a transaction. If I buy a TV I pay sales tax once, if I buy property I have to pay property tax every year that I own that land, that implies that i have to pay the state for the priveledge of owning that land.

8. LibertarianMike Said,

November 29, 2009 @ 2:18 am

Right. In fact, it would be correct to say that as long as there is a property tax, you cannot in fact truly own your own property. You'll find out who the true owner is quickly as soon as you fail to pay your rent (property tax).

-Mike

9. HDThoreau Said,

November 29, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

I like Debra. I hope they elect her. She takes awhile to get warmed up and looks a little uptight, but she seems to know what she's talking about when the hard questions are asked. She'll needs to know how things should work before she can fix what's broken. And I think she does. Too bad I don't live in Texas.

I tell you what though, if Texas does secede from the USA, then I will be the first to move there. I sh|t you not. I will pick up and leave that day.

10. jupiterjason Said,

December 1, 2009 @ 12:25 am

Texan, I think you misread or misunderstood her position on eliminating the property tax and compensating with a change in sales tax. On her site, she references a plan (not her plan) from the Texas Public Policy Foundation: "Enhancing Texas' Economic Growth Through Tax Reform- Repealing property taxes and replacing the revenues with a revised sales tax".

If you read it carefully, you will see that 14.5% is what the sales tax rate would need to be in order to be revenue neutral IF THE CURRENT SALES TAX BASE is used.

It then goes on to recommend changing the sales tax base with possible alternatives:

"…broadening the sales tax to include property allows the total sales tax rate to be lower (due to the broader sales tax base) while still removing many of the adverse impacts from the property tax. Alternative tax rates and tax bases that include property sales in the sales tax base are:

• 12.5 percent if the current sales tax base is used;
    • 9.0 percent if all services that are taxed in at least one state are taxed in Texas; and
    • 6.5 percent if the sales tax base is the total value of goods and services in Texas’ economy, with adjustments to remove non-taxable items (such as government
    purchases)."

The entire plan is pretty interesting & is worth reading. I agree with you that reducing spending and reducing the tax load are important general issues. I also think she is addressing this. Keep in mind that currently property taxes pay for the public schools in your district/county. Something specific would have to replace this revenue stream if property taxes were eliminated- this seems like the best idea so far that preserves the principles of individual liberty & property ownership.

Also, I'm a Texan and will vote for Medina.

11. Ronnie Said,

December 6, 2009 @ 3:50 am

I live in Louisiana and am sending Deborah Medina money for her run. GO MEDINA!

12. David Said,

February 11, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

Perhaps you should picture property taxes not as a tax on the property you own, but as a tax on the services provided to that land. For example, they pay for the public schools that are used by the children living in your area, the roads that you and your neighbors use to get to your land, the police and fire fighters that work to keep that area safe, along with other numerous services that are provided by the people that live in that area. I'd be all for removing the property tax if someone could show me how all those services that those taxes pay for that we take for granted wouldn't suffer as a result.

13. Hans Golding Said,

January 19, 2011 @ 7:17 am

lastly discovered someplace with some useful details. thanks alot and maintain it coming :)