08/14/2010 Freedom Watch w/ Rand Paul, John Stossel, Neil Cavuto, Thomas Sowell, more

Here is this weekend’s edition of Freedom Watch w/ Judge Napolitano.

httpvp://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=01DC8AC8F8452D32

1. liberty_4_us Said,

August 14, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

I think I found material for the Judge's next show!:

"N.J. town posts DUI photos on Facebook: Tag away?
    Evesham Township, N.J., recently started adding photos of people arrested for drunk driving to its Facebook page as a crime deterrent. "

2. midnightgolfer Said,

August 15, 2010 @ 1:48 am

The professor really needed to push the truth that the increased spending, and the increase in 'instructors' per students, has NOT had any increase in student performance, and that if teachers are "going to end up on food stamps" they only have their labor bosses to blame.
    It's not just that teachers aren't any different than the rest of us, and no less deserving of sharing the suffering we all get to shoulder together, but they are MORE deserving, because they've collectively been doing a better job at supporting their government unions than they have been supporting our children.

3. Derek Said,

August 16, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

why is the judge not on fox business network anymore?

4. Allan Said,

August 17, 2010 @ 1:23 am

Every time that Nancy Skinner shows up here, the only thing missing is her cheerleading outfit with "Government" written across the front. This time she states that the dems will cut food stamp funding if necessary. With a straight face no less! The big government shills are disgusting parasites that keep the political lies alive that are destroying this country.

5. liberty_4_us Said,

August 17, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

He is: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/freedom-watch/

6. Libertarian Said,

August 18, 2010 @ 9:16 am

if Cavuto were asked if gasoline, food, or any other product should have price controls, I would bet he would say, "no", however, when it comes to price controls on money, he's all for it. I just don't get it.

7. Antonio Said,

August 19, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

Along the lines of the last comment, I think that Neil Cavuto, perhaps unwittingly, posits a false choice. He seemed to imply that there are only two choices – let the Fed regulate the money supply, or let Congress do it.

There is another way – let the market decide how much money the economy needs, and at what price.

We should all remember this, and point it out, the next time someone says that the Fed regulating the money supply is better than letting Congress do it. Neither of them should do it!

8. paineless Said,

August 21, 2010 @ 3:25 am

Sorry to diatribe, but:

I tried to get friends to vote libertarian 15 years ago, but they all had to "vote against one of the other guys" and I gave up proselytizing. The tea party and their ilk is a welcome sign that perhaps it was just early days.

I was reading Elbert Hubbard on his life in the 1800's earlier tonight and reminded of how much different life was back then. His Roycroft arts and crafts business would be nigh onto impossible to grow these days due to taxes and government regulations. He also pointed out that if you give a man a dollar, he'll resent you for it, but expect it next time. A round of rotten tomatoes to LBJ's 'The Great Society' for overlooking that one

for midnightgolfer, I also wonder what's the deal with "the only alternative to laying off teachers / police / firemen is to dig into the public till." Are they unwilling to share in the commons of the current economic situation by taking a pay cut or at least not taking pay raises? I mention this because my experiences with public education include hearing my father (a teacher) bemoan the unionization of teachers, and my brief stint as a teacher observing other teachers who had just quit giving a hoot. A reading of Friedman's Right to Choose shows the absolute lack of correlation between teacher pay and the results in terms of education quality. A round of rotten tomatoes to the unions – and teaching for a standardized test – is called for here, along with a bouquet of the best to some of my Science, Math, English, and History teacher who inculcated a deep love of learning in me at a (relatively) early age.

Finally, I believe Antonio is absolutely right that Neil Cavuto may have skipped an option. I'm uncertain how the market could regulate money without a return to a standard based on something that costs money to produce, like – say … gold? A round of rotten tomatoes to Nixon for this one – even at the time, it didn't sound like a good idea.

Economic activity in a free market should be free of coercion or misleading behavior, and extensive government involvement which causes a short term variation in value of a particular item results in bad economic decisions – not necessarily apparent at the time. I thought we'd learned that from the USSR – but it seems that the current crop of folks in Washington haven't learned anything, or believe that they are superior to those rubes from Russia. We certainly can see that some of them believe they are superior to us. Dang, I'm out of rotten tomatoes – may I use rotten cabbage instead? ;)

9. Ronnie Said,

August 23, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

Judge,
    Great show!!
    Thank you for setting the record straight in the closing segments about the fed, patriot act, etc.. That clarification on the constitutionality is very much needed.